Wednesday, April 13, 2011

From the Memoir of the Stylist

Since my days in primary 3 when someone first called me the word "Gay" I knew I was special. I wondered then as I do now why the man called me something nobody called the other male kids. In bids to protect me, my Aunties often scolded this person to refrain from calling me such, but my innocent mind was too excited to protest such a unique appellation. I thought he must have seen something different, therefore special in me to tag me with such a novel title.

You see, I grew up with women: my Mum, Grandma and Aunties, whom a lot of (ignorant) people hold accountable for my present psyche (I smh! If only they know). In reference to the special thing I assumed the man saw in me, I've always had a knack--a rather girly one--to criticize and therefore choose my Aunties' wardrobe & believe I did a badass good job because not only did they retain my fashion-advice services on every--as in every damn occassion till they all left the country, I got references as well. That's when I realized my specialness (if that's a word); I was a self-made fashion stylist. And that heralded my dream in fashion eventhough then I didn't know there existed a tangible platform for such a profession.


Regardless of Cynics' opinion about Fashion Styling being a talentless profession, I among many became a self-made one, doing & earning (intermittently in my case) a living without any formal training whatsoever. I can point out & recommend any fashion no-no in my sleep (Yes I'm that good). Though I'm not international material, at least not yet, my innate talent & working experience gives me the longterm edge.

To the matter of my chosen career being talentless, I'd argue thus: Cynics say we do not need someone to prescribe what or how to wear clothes, fashion designers do that already by designing the clothes. They believe it just being a lame attempt at furthering the lazy whims of extra hands in the fashion business. But if that were the case, why would you need a public image Consultant or Publicist, if you can do your own public image bidding yourself? Well...that explains what a talentful job Cynicism is....Loool (head thrown back).

No comments:

Post a Comment